The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"RISHTON, a township in the parish of Blackburn, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Blackburn. It is a station on the East Lancashire railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Blackburn and Burnley turnpike-road, and near the Leeds and Liverpool canal. There is an extensive reservoir. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries, stone-quarries, and in the neighbouring cotton-mills. Fire-bricks are made in this township. The soil consists of peat sand and clay, with a subsoil of stone and clay. Henry Petre, Esq., is lord of the manor."