The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ROUGH-LEE-BOOTH, a township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of Blackburn hundred, county Lancaster, 3½ miles W. of Colne railway station, and 6 N.W. of Burnley. It is situated at the E. end of the forest of Pendle. The land is principally in pasture. The soil is clay, with a subsoil of rock. There is a cotton-mill in the neighbourhood. There is a school for both sexes, erected and supported by the Messrs. Roberts. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."