The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ROYTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.W. of Oldham, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Middleton. It is a junction station on the Oldham and Rochdale branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The village is situated on the road to Rochdale. Previous to the commencement of the present century, it contained only a few straggling cottages, but has now assumed the appearance of a considerable town, consisting of several regular streets and large factories. A large portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton mills, and in the extensive coal mine, and brass and iron foundries. Stone is quarried to some extent. There is a public bath. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £300, in the patronage of the Rector of Prestwich. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was built by subscription in 1754. There is a National school; also a village school. John Butterworth, and his friend, John Kay, were natives of this parish. The Wesleyans, Calvinistic Methodists, and Society of Friends, have each a place of worship."