The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"RUMWORTH, a township in the parish of Deane, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3 miles S.W. of Bolton. In this township are situated the village and parochial church of Deane, on the road from Bolton to Liverpool. There is a school endowed by James Crompton in 1636, with land now producing £37 per annum."