The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SATTERTHWAITE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Hawkshead, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Hawkshead. Milnthorpe is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Leaven, and is chiefly agricultural. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the bobbin mills at Cunsey. The township includes the hamlets of Dale-Park, Force Forge, Grizedale, and Lower Graythwaite. There is a large extent of coppice wood, formerly used for the smelting of iron-ore. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £120. The church has a square tower containing one bell, and was enlarged and rebuilt in 1835. There is a National school for both sexes at Grizedale. Satterthwaite Hall and High Graythwaite Hall are the principal residences."