The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SCHOLES, a ward in the parish and borough of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, adjoining Wigan, of which it is a suburb. It is situated on the eastern bank, and near the source of the river Douglas. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton mills, and some in the neighbouring collieries. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of the Rector of Wigan. The church was erected in 1840 at an expense of £3,225, partly defrayed by the parliamentary commissioners."