The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SEFTON, (or Sephton), a parish in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 6½ miles N. of Liverpool, its post town. The parish, which is situated on the river Alt and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, is bounded on the W. by the Bay of Liverpool. The parish contains Great Crosby, a much frequented bathing place, and the townships of Crosby, Seaforth, Waterloo, Aintree, Ince-Blundell, Litherland, Lunt, Netherton, Orrell, Sefton, and Thornton. The manor was given at the Conquest to William de Moline, or Molyneux, ancestor of the earls of Sefton, of which family was Sir William, who fought under the Black Prince at Navarre, as did Sir Richard at the battle of Agincourt, and another Sir William distinguished himself at the battle of Flodden Field. A portion of the land is in meadow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester, value £1,378. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient structure, with a tower surmounted by a lofty spire and containing six bells. The interior of the church, which was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VII., contains several carved stalls, a screen, effigies and brasses to the Molyneux family. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: Great Crosby, Seaforth, St. Peter's, Aintree; St. John's and Christ Church, Waterloo; the livings of which are all perpetual curacies varying in value from £119 to £87. The parochial charities produce about £116 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Croxteth Hall is the seat of the Earl of Sefton, who is lord of the manor, and takes his title from this place."