1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"SHARPLES, a township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Bolton. This populous township comprises the villages of Astley Bridge, Bank Top, and several others. In the vicinity are the Birton waterworks for supplying the town of Bolton. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills and bleaching establishments. The substratum abounds in coal."