The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SHEVINGTON, a township in the parish of Standish, hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Wigan, its post town, and 1 mile N.E. of Gathurst railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, near the river Douglas. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, and in the chemical works situate at Appleby Bridge. There are National schools for both sexes."