The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SKELMERSDALE, a chapelry in the parish of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 4½ miles S.E. of Ormskirk, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Pimbo-lane railway station. The village is chiefly agricultural. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries and stone quarries. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £142, in the patronage of the Vicar of Ormskirk. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, has a tower and bell. It was built about the year 1776, and enlarged in 1823. In the interior is a painted E. window, and some monuments to the Skelmersdale family. The parochial charities produce about £79 per annum, of which £51 goes to Swift's school. The Wesleyans have two places of worship. This place gives title of baron to the Wilbrahams of Lathom, to whom the manor belongs."