The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"STAND, (or Whitefield), a chapelry in the township of Pilkington, and parish of Prestwich, county Lancaster, 5½ miles N. of Manchester, its post town, and 1½ mile S.E. of Radcliffe railway station. The village is situated on the Bury and Manchester turnpike road. The soil is of a sandy character, with a subsoil of sand and gravel. It contains numerous villa residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £270. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a lofty tower, with a clock and eight bells. There is a stained E. window. The church was erected in 1826, at a cost of £15,000. There is also a New Jerusalem church, with a day and Sunday school adjoining. There are National and Sunday schools. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians have chapels. The Dales, Park Hill, Stand House, and Stand Hall are the principal residences.