The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"STAVELEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Cartmel, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 6 miles N. of Cartmel, and 9 N.E. of Ulverston. Kendal is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated at the bottom of Windermere. The township contains the hamlets of Ayside, Barber Green, Seatle, and part of Newby Bridge. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £108. The church was enlarged in 1844. The charities produce about £33 per annum. There are endowed schools for both sexes. The Earl of Burlington is lord of the manor."