The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"STRETFORD, a chapelry and township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3½ miles S.W. of Manchester, its post town. It is a station on the Manchester, South Junction, and Altrincham railway. The village is situated on the Bridgwater canal, near the river Mersey, where the Roman way to Chester crossed. There is a large paper mill and a mart for pigs for supply of the Manchester market. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is modern. The parochial charities, about £100 per annum, go to Hinde's school. Henshaw's blind asylum and a deaf and dumb school are in this township. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have chapels."