The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SUTTON, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Prescot, its post town, and 1½ mile S.E. of St. Helen's. It is a station on the St. Helen's Junction railway. It is a considerable village, situated near the Sutton incline on the Liverpool and Manchester railway. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, limestone quarries, glass works, and in the manufacture of watch movements and earthenware. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £560, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum."