The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SWINTON, a hamlet and chapelry in the township of Worsley and parish of Eccles, county Lancaster, 4½ miles N.W. of Manchester, its post town, and 6 E. of Bolton. The village is situated on the main road to Manchester. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills, collieries, and brick kilns. The Manchester training school is situated here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £126, in the patronage of the Vicar of Eccles The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a cruciform structure, built in 1791. There is a National school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Unitarians have chapels."