The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"TATHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 12 miles N.E. of Lancaster, its post town, and 1 mile from the Wennington railway station. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Lune or Weaning. The parish includes the villages of Lowgill and Tatham Fell. There are some collieries, and traces of a Roman road. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a steeple, erected in 1722, containing three bells. In the interior is a brass to the Cansfield family. There is also the district church of Tatham Fell, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £125. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum. There is an endowed school. A manor court is held in May, at Hall Barns."