The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"TOTTINGTON LOWER END, a township in the parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2½ miles N.W. of Bury, its post town. It was given by Charles II. to General Monk, Duke of Albemarle. The township, which contains numerous scattered hamlets, had a population in 1861 of 11,764. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills and bleach works, which are extensively carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. The dissenters have several chapels, and there is a school with a small endowment. Dr. Wood, the mathematician, was born here."