The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"TURTON, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton le Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 4 miles N. of Bolton, its post town, and near the Chapel-town and Oaks railway stations. It is situated on the Roman way to Manchester, and is bounded by two rivulets tributary to the Irwell. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton mills, dyeing, bleaching, and print works. There are also numerous stone quarries. The land is principally in pasture. At a farm called Turton Tower is an ancient structure of four stories, formerly the residence of the Chethams, Orrells, and Greames, but now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £161. The church, dedicated to St. Ann, has a stained E. window, and was built in 1840. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum. There are day and Sunday schools for both sexes. The Independents, Presbyterians, and Unitarians have chapels. J. Kay, Esq., is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the 4th and 5th September for cattle and horses."