1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WALSDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 5 miles N.E. of Rochdale, its post town, and 10 from Burnley. It is a station on the Leeds section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It is joined with Todmorden. There are cotton-mills, collieries, stone-quarries, and chemical works, which afford employment to the chief portion of the inhabitants. The soil is clayey, with a rocky subsoil. A portion of the Roman road from Manchester to York passes through this parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a parochial school for both sexes. J. Dearden, Esq., is lord of the manor."