The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WALTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Liverpool. It is a junction station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. This parish, comprising 24,650 acres, includes the townships of Aintree, Bootle, Everton, Edgehill, Fazerkerly, Formby, Kirkby, Kirkdale, with its sessions house, Toxteth Park, West Derby, Stanley, and Simonswood, already mentioned under their several headings. In consequence of its proximity to the river Mersey and the Leeds canal, this place has recently vastly increased in population, forming an extensive suburban district to Liverpool, within which borough it is partly included."