The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WARTON, a township in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 3 miles E. of Lytham, and 2 S.W. of Kirkham, its post town. It is a station on the Lytham branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The village is situated on the river Ribble. There area new dock and embankment being made. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Freckleton, in the diocese of Manchester, value £350, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1724. The parochial charities produce about £104, which go to a school."