The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WATERLOO, a village and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Sefton, and hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Liverpool. It is a station on the Liverpool and Southport branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It is situated at the mouth of the river Mersey, and in 1561 had a population of 2,046. The living is a perpetual curacy in the dioc, of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of trustees."