The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WEST DERBY, a chapelry in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Liverpool, and 4¼ W. of Prescot. It contains Kensington, Stanley, Knotty Ash, and other hamlets, including many handsome residences of the Liverpool merchants. Before the Conquest there was a castle here, which is mentioned in Domesday Survey as then in ruins. There are several district churches, the livings of which are perpetual curacies St. John the Evangelist, in the patronage of trustees; St. James, in that of Mrs. Thornton; St. Anne, in that of the Rev. T. Gardner; and St. Jude, Low Hill, value £300, in the patronage of trustees. This chapelry of late years, by reason of its proximity to Liverpool, Prescot, and Birkenhead, has vastly increased in population and wealth. The river Mersey and the Leeds canal are within a short distance.