John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
HOLCOMBE, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Bury district, Lancashire. The village stands near the river Irwell and the Bury and Haslingden railway, 1¼ mile SW of Ramsbottom r. station, and 4½ N by W of Bury. The chapelry is in Tottington-Lower-End township, Bury parish; and was recently made ecclesiastically parochial. Post town, Ramsbottom, under Manchester. Pop., 2,511. A tower or column, to the memory of Sir Robert Peel, stands on Holcombe hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175.* Patron, the Rector of Bury. The church is in the early decorated English style; and consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with tower and fine spire. The sub-district consists mainly of part of Tottington-Lower-End township, but includes a pendicle of Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth township. Pop., 6,645. Houses, 1,276.