John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
KNOTTY-ASH, a chapelry in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire; ½ a mile N of Broad-Green r. station, and 4 E of Liverpool. It has a post office under Liverpool, and a police station. Pop. in 1861, about 1,800. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Salisbury. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern, in the later English style; and contains 900 sittings. There are national schools.