John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
STAND, or Whitefield, a chapelry, with a village, in Pilkington township, Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Radcliffe r. station, and 5½ NNW of Manchester. It was constituted in 1829; and it has a post-office under Manchester. Pop. in 1861, 8,958. Houses, 1,824. There are many good residences. Cotton manufacture, and employments akin to it, are largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £270.* Patron, the Earl of Wilton. The church was built in 1826, at a cost of £15,000; is in the pointed style; and has a pinnacled tower, 186 feet high. There are four dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, and a large national school, the last used as a chapel of ease.