John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
WALMSLEY, a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire; near Bromley-Cross r. station, 3 miles N of Bolton. It was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Bolton. Pop. in 1861, 3,415. Houses, 641. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £145. Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The church was built in 1844. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Unitarians, and a slightly endowed school.