National Gazetteer (1868) - Amport
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"AMPORT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Andover, in the Andover division and union of the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the W. of Andover, and 71 from London. It contains the tythings of East Cholderton and Sarson. The village is situated in a pleasant district on the small river Anton, a branch of the Test. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £858, with the perpetual curacy of Appleshaw, which is annexed to it. The patronage is with the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. There is an endowed school, founded in 1812, by Mrs. Sheppard, and further endowed by Dr. Sheppard, who also established an almshouse for six poor persons. The revenue of these charities is £150. Amport Park is the seat of the Marquis of Winchester, who is lord of the manor. The hall stands on high ground, commanding a fine prospect, and the park is well wooded. "DANSEY, a hamlet in the parishes of Amport and Appleshaw, in the county of Hants, 3 miles W. of Andover. "EAST CHOLDERTON, a tything in the parish of Amport, in the county of Hants, 5 miles W. of Andover. "SARSON, a tything in the parish of Amport, county Hants, 4 miles W. of Andover."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]