"ANDOVER, a parish, market town, and parliamentary and municipal borough, with exclusive jurisdiction, but lying locally in the hundred of Andover, Andover division of the county of Southampton, 13 miles to the N.W. of Winchester, and 63 miles from London, or 66 by the South Western railway, on the Salisbury branch of which it is a station. Its name is composed of Ann, which applied to the district in which it stands, and lever or dyfr, a British word for a stream. It lies on the banks of the river Anton, near the skirts of a large, wooded tract, bordering on Salisbury Plain, and comprises the chapelry of Foxcote, the hamlets of Charlton, Wildhern, and several others. It is the centre of a union containing 32 parishes in the county of Hants, and 4 in Wilts. The Andover canal, which is now being converted into a railway, connected the town with Southampton Water. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]