Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Barton Stacey

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"BARTON-STACEY, a parish and hundred (co-extensive with each other), in the Andover division of the county of Southampton, 5½ miles to the S.E. of Andover, 8 N. from Winchester, and 5 S.W. from Whitchurch railway station. Stockbridge is its post town. It includes the tythings of Bransbury, Drayton, and Newton Stacey. It is situated on the ancient Roman road from Winchester to Marlborough. At Bransbury are traces of a camp, and in the neighbourhood are some ancient barrows. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £266, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter.

The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a fine specimen of early English architecture; it is built in the form of a cross, and has a perpendicular tower containing a peal of six bells. There is a chapel belonging to the Methodists, and a National school; also an endowment of about £40 a year, bequeathed by Dorothy and Elizabeth Wright, which is applied to the support of a free school, and other charitable purposes. A:air is held in the village on the 31st July. "BRANSBURY, a tything in the parish and hundred of Barton-Stacey, in the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the S.E. of Andover. It is situated on a branch of the river Test, and has the remains of an old camp. "DRAYTON, a tything in the parish of Barton-Stacey, in the county of Southampton, 4 miles S.E. of Andover. It is situated on the river Anton. Drayton Lodge is the principal residence. "NEWTON-STACEY, a tything in the parish and hundred of Barton-Stacey, county Hants, 4 miles S.E. of Andover, and 6 S. by W. of Whitchurch. It is situated on the river Anton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]