"BAUGHURST, a parish in the hundred of Lower Evingar, in the county of Southampton, 8 miles to the N. W. of Basingstoke, and 6 S. from Aldermaston railway station. It is a detached part of the hundred, lying on the border of Berkshire, and contains the tythings of Ham and Inhurst. The old Port Way to Silchester passes near the village, and is there called Baughurst Street. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £188, in the patronage of the bishop. The old church, an ancient Norman structure, partly fell down in 1845, and a new one has been erected on the site, in the early English style, with a tower surmounted by a spire 100 feet high. In the interior is a carved oak screen, the gift of Archbishop Wareham, to match the ceiling, which is also of oak. There are chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A National school-room was built in 1843. The parochial charities amount to £4 per annum. The Dean and Chapter of Winchester are lords of the manor. "HAM, a tything in the parish of Baughurst, county Hants, 2 miles N.E. of Kingsclere. "INHURST, a tything in the parish of Baughurst, county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Kingsclere."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]