National Gazetteer (1868) - Bentworth
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BENTWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke division of the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the W. of Alton, its post and Union town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £760, in the patronage of the Rev. H. S. Matthews, incumbent. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are some small charities. Bentworth Hall is the chief residence. Near the village is Bentworth Hill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]