National Gazetteer (1868) - Bishops Sutton
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BISHOP'S SUTTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of the same name, in the county of Southampton, 1 mile to the S.E. of Alresford, its post town. The bishops of Winchester had formerly a seat here, the remains of which are now occupied as a malt-house. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value; with the perpetual curacy of Ropley annexed, £350, in the patronage of Mrs. Deacon. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]