National Gazetteer (1868) - Bishopstoke
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BISHOP STOKE, a parish and large village in the hundred of Fawley, in the county of Southampton, 7 miles to the S.W. of Winchester, and 73 miles from London. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway. A branch line runs from this place to Gosport and Portsmouth, and another branch line to Salisbury. The village, which is large and well-built, is situated in a well-wooded country on the east bank of the river Itchin, which is navigable to Winchester. The county cheese market, established in 1852, is a spacious square enclosure, surrounded by sheds and stores, and having ready communication with the several railways which centre at Barton, on the west side of the river Itchin.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £437, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1825. It is a handsome stone structure, with square tower, and a rich painted window at the east side. There are National and infant schools, built in 1842, and a Wesleyan chapel at the adjoining hamlet of Crowd Hill. Bishop Bale, the antiquary, was rector of this parish in the reign of Edward VI. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor. The chief seats are Fair Oak Park, Oak Lodge, Manor House, Highfield Lodge, Stoke Mount, &c. There is a large corn-mill, and a commodious family hotel and posting house adjoining the railway station."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]