"BOTLEY, a parish and small market town, in the hundred of Upper Mainsbridge, Southampton division of the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the S.W. of Bishop's Waltham, 10 from. Gosport, and 6 from Southampton, its post town. It is situated on the small river Hamble, and is about half a mile from the station on the Southampton railway. The Hamble falls into Southampton Water, and is navigable to this village for boats. There are several corn-mills on the river, and a good trade is carried on in flour and timber. In 1848 a market-house was built here at the cost of £650. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £399, in the patronage of H. Lee, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a plain edifice of brick, with a good tower. It was built in 1836, and was enlarged in 1859, when a chancel was added. It contains sittings for about 420, and has a curious old font. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Albert Road Cemetery, Hedge End|
|Hedge End Methodist Church, Hedge End|
|Our Lady of the Assumption, Hedge End|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Botley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Botley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Botley from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU500137 (Lat/Lon: 50.920396, -1.290293), Botley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)