"BOTLEY, a parish and small market town, in the hundred of Upper Mainsbridge, Southampton division of the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the S.W. of Bishop's Waltham, 10 from. Gosport, and 6 from Southampton, its post town. It is situated on the small river Hamble, and is about half a mile from the station on the Southampton railway. The Hamble falls into Southampton Water, and is navigable to this village for boats. There are several corn-mills on the river, and a good trade is carried on in flour and timber. In 1848 a market-house was built here at the cost of £650. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £399, in the patronage of H. Lee, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a plain edifice of brick, with a good tower. It was built in 1836, and was enlarged in 1859, when a chancel was added. It contains sittings for about 420, and has a curious old font. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]