"BRAMSHOTT, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Finch-Dean, in the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the W. of Haslemere, 9 N.W. of Petersfield, and 10 S. from Farnham railway station. It lies on the border of Surrey, in the midst of extensive heaths, and contains the hamlet of Liphook, which is a considerable village, post town, and railway station on the London and Portsmouth direct line. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £785, in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It is a small structure in the form of a cross, in the early English style of architecture, with a central tower and shingled spire. It stands on high ground, commanding an extensive prospect, and was considerably enlarged in 1836 at the cost of £1,500.
There is a free school, endowed by the liberality of a former rector. A portion of Woolmer Forest, now converted into a military camp, is in this parish; as also Boarhunt Farm, formerly a detached part of Sussex, but annexed to Hampshire in 1844. The parish extends over an area of 6,676 acres, a large proportion of which is waste land. Cattle fairs are held at Liphook (where there is a small chapel for Bible Christians) on the first Wednesday in March and the 11th June. "LIPHOOK, a hamlet in the parish of Bramshott, lower half of the hundred of Finch, county Hants, 6 miles W. of Haslemere. It is a station on the Guildford, Godalming, and New Portsmouth line. In the time of the coaches it was a famed halting-place on the old Portsmouth road."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]