National Gazetteer (1868) - Breamore
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BREAMORE, a parish in the liberty of the same name, Ringwood division of the county of Southampton, 3 miles to the N. of Fordingbridge, and 7 miles to the S. of Salisbury, its post town. It is situated on the borders of Wiltshire and Dorsetshire, on the western bank of the river Avon, and includes the hamlet of Outwick. A priory of the Dominican order was founded here about 1130 by Baldwin, Earl of Devon, which had a revenue at the time of its suppression of £200, and was given in 1536 to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £540, in the patronage of the Rev. J. N. Palmer. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are charitable endowments which amount to about £10 per annum. The principal seat is Breamore House, which is a meet for the New Forest hounds. "OUTWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Breamore, county Hants, 3 miles N. of Fordingbridge."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]