"BURGHCLERE, a parish and village partly in the lower division of the hundred of Evingar, and partly in the hundred of Kingsclere, Kingsclere division of the county of Southampton, 7 miles to the N. of Whitchurch, and 5 S. from Newbury, its post town and railway station. It is situated in a fine country near the borders of Berkshire, at the foot of a range of hills on which are several barrows and remains of ancient military works. The parish contains the hamlet of Earlstone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the perpetual curacy of Newton annexed, £829, with a residence and 120 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the Earl of Carnarvon.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient fabric, of Norman architecture, now in ruins. The new church, erected in 1838, stands on an elevation, and is a handsome building with square tower in the Gothic style. The Earl of Carnarvon and the Rev. George Wallace, the rector, were the principal donors. There is a free school supported partly by an endowment of £10 a year, the gift of Elizabeth Cornwallis. The other parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. This place is close by Highclere Park, the fine scat of the Earl of Carnarvon, who is lord of the manor. To the W. of the village is a large Roman encampment, called Beacon Hill; and to the S. are the Seven Barrows. "EARLSTONE, a tything in the parish of Burghclere, county Hants, 3 miles N.W. of Kingsclere."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]