"CHALTON, a parish in the hundred of Finch Dean, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles N.E. of Horn Dean, its post town, and 8 miles N. of the Havant station on the Brighton and South Coast railway. It includes the chapelry of Idsworth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the rectory of Clanfield and curacy of Idsworth annexed, £600, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice with a tower. Here is a National school for both sexes. Sir S. C. Jervoise, Bart., is lord of the manors "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chalton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chalton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Chalton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU736141 (Lat/Lon: 50.921475, -0.954051), Chalton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)