"CHALTON, a parish in the hundred of Finch Dean, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles N.E. of Horn Dean, its post town, and 8 miles N. of the Havant station on the Brighton and South Coast railway. It includes the chapelry of Idsworth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the rectory of Clanfield and curacy of Idsworth annexed, £600, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice with a tower. Here is a National school for both sexes. Sir S. C. Jervoise, Bart., is lord of the manors "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]