"CHALTON, a parish in the hundred of Finch Dean, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles N.E. of Horn Dean, its post town, and 8 miles N. of the Havant station on the Brighton and South Coast railway. It includes the chapelry of Idsworth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the rectory of Clanfield and curacy of Idsworth annexed, £600, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice with a tower. Here is a National school for both sexes. Sir S. C. Jervoise, Bart., is lord of the manors "IDSWORTH, a chapelry in the parish of Chalton, hundred of Finch-Dean, county Hants, 1 mile N. of Finch-Dean, 3 miles E. of Horn-Dean, its post town, and 6 N. of the Havant railway station. The chapelry, which adjoins the county of Sussex, is watered by the Lavant, which flows through here in its course to Portsmouth. The population are chiefly employed in agriculture. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Chalton, in the diocese of Winchester. The chapel-of-ease is situated in Ibsworth Park, the seat of Jervoise Clarke Jervoise, Bart., who is lord of the manor. A school is supported by Lady Jervoise."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]