"CHAWTON, a parish in the hundred of Upper Alton, in the county of Hants, 1 mile S.W. of the Alton station of the South-Western railway The village of Chawton is situated in a valley, and in the neighbourhood are lavants, or land springs, which at times overflow the lands adjoining. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £353, in the patronage of Edward Knight, Esq. The church is in the Gothic style of architecture, and is dedicated to St. Nicholas. The parish possesses a neat National school. Chawton House, occupied by the lord of the manor, Edward Knight, Esq., is a beautiful seat. The charities produce about £9 per annum. It is a meet for the H.H. hounds."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]