National Gazetteer (1868) - Cheriton
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"CHERITON, a parish in the hundred of Fawley, in the county of Hants, 7 miles to the E. of Winchester, and 2 miles to the S. of New Alresford, its post town. It includes the tything of Beauworth, and was the scene of a battle in 1644 between the royalists and parliamentarians. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the curacies of Kilmeston and Titchbourn annexed, £1,192, in the patronage of the bishop of the diocese The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a modern Gothic building with plain tower. Mrs. Godrich bequeathed a sum of money, which now produces about £16 per annum, to be distributed in bread and clothing; and the Rev. Morgan Jones an amount which returns £12 per annum for the instruction of poor children."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]