National Gazetteer (1868) - Chilbolton
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"CHILBOLTON, a parish in the hundred of Lower Wherwell, Andover division of the county of Hants, 9 miles S.W. of the Andover Road station, and the same distance from Winchester. Stockbridge is its post town. It is situated on the river Anton, near the canal. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £430, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built about 1300. It is in the decorated style. Here is a free school. Dr. Layfield's charity, for apprenticing children of this parish, amounts to £25 a year. It was from the rectory here that the celebrated Oriental writer, Sir William Jones, dated his letters when on a visit to Dr. Shipley, Bishop of St. Asaph. The Dean and Chapter of Winchester are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]