"CHURCH OAKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Chuteley, in the county of Hants, 13 miles from Andover, and 5 W. of the Basingstoke railway station on the South-Western line. The village is situated between the sources of the Test and Wandle, occupying the most elevated part of a valley. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £311, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient edifice in the Gothic style, and has received the addition of a transept. It contains monuments to the Warham family. A free school was established here in 1666 by G. Wither, Esq., who left a rent-charge, now realising about £16 per annum, with land and residence for the master, besides other property for apprenticing children. Malshanger Hall, the ancient seat of the Warhams, is in this parish. W. Beach, Esq., of Oakley Hall, is the lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]