"COMBE, a parish in the hundred of Pastrow (lower half), in the county of Hants, 6 miles S.E. of Hungerford, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Newbury. It is situated in a well-wooded valley, and contains the hamlet of East Wick. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £107, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is a small ancient edifice, with wooden tower. There is a free school. The manor is held by King's College, Cambridge. Here formerly stood a convent, supposed to have been connected with a priory in Picardy. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] "
NB. Since 1895 the parish of Combe has been part of Berkshire. Please see Combe in Berkshire for further information. "