National Gazetteer (1868) - Deane
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"DEANE, a parish in the hundred of Overton, in the Kingsclere division of the county of Hants, 5½ miles S.W. of Basingstoke. It is a station on the South-Western railway. This parish formerly included that of Ashe; which was separated and formed into a distinct parish about the middle of the 17th century. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The soil is a strong clayey loam, on a substratum of chalk. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £336, in the patronage of W. Beach, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. It was rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £7,000, and contains several monuments, also a painting of Christ on the Cross, over the altar. The windows are of stained glass. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £308, with 56 acres of glebe."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]