"DIBDEN, a parish in the liberty of Dibden, in the Southampton division of the county of Hants, 2½ miles N.W. of Hythe, and 3½ S. of Redbridge station. It is situated on the Southampton Water, which bounds it on the E. In the Saxon times it was a place of some importance, and had a fishery and saltern at the time of the Domesday Survey, when it was called Depedene, from its situation in a thickly wooded dell. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £400, in the patronage of Lord Ashburton. The church is an ancient stone building, and contains tombs of the Lisle family, who were formerly lords of the manor, and of whom was Lady Lisle, condemned to death by Judge Jeffreys. In the churchyard is a yew tree, 30 feet in girth. There is a National school for both sexes. E. N. Harvey, Esq., is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]