Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Droxford

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"DROXFORD, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Bishop's Waltham, Droxford division, in the county of Southampton, 32 miles N.E. of Bishop's Waltham, and 8 N.E. of Botley station. It is situated on a small stream, and contains the hamlets of Swanmore and Midlington, and the tything of Droxford Street. The village is considerable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £744, in the patronage of the bishop. There are also two district churches: Shidfield, value £100, and Swanmore, value £149, both of them perpetual cure.,* and in the gift of the rector. The parish church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure in the early Norman style of architecture, with square tower, clock, and four bells. There is a National school. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor. "DROXFORD STREET, a tything in the parish of Droxford, in the upper half of the hundred of Bishop's Waltham, Droxford division, in the county of Southampton. "HILL, a tything in the parish of Droxford, county Hants, 2 miles S.E. of Bishop's Waltham. "SHIDFIELD, a tything and chapelry in the parish of Droxford, hundred of Bishop's-Waltham, county Hants, 2½ miles S. of Bishop's-Waltham. It is situated near the line of the South-Western railway. The district includes the hamlet of Shirrell Heath. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £100, in the patronage of the Rector of Droxford. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1829. "SHIRRELL HEATH, a hamlet in the tything of Shidfield, parish of Droxford, county Hants, 2 miles S. of Bishop's Waltham, near the line of the London and South-Western Railway. "SWANMORE, a tything in the parish of Droxford, county Hants, 1 mile S.E. of Bishop's Waltham, its post town."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]