"EAST STRATTON, a parish in the lower half of Mitcheldever hundred, county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of Andover, its post town and railway station, and 8 N.E. of Winchester. The village is situated on the road from Basingstoke to Winchester, a little to the E. of the London and South-Western railway. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Micheldever, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Katherine, or All Saints, has been recently restored, and has stained glass windows representing the Evangelists. There is a school maintained by Sir Francis Baring, who is lord of the manor, and in whose park the church is situated. The principal residence is Stratton Park, the seat of Sir F. Baring, Bart., and in which is a collection of paintings. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]