"EAST TISTED, a parish in the hundred of Selborne, county Hants, 5 miles S.W. of Alton. The village is situated on the road from Alton to Gosport and Portsmouth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £350. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a free school, erected in 1837, with an endowment of £50 per annum. J. Groves, the astronomer, was born here. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Tisted to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which East Tisted has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for East Tisted from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU701317 (Lat/Lon: 51.080798, -1.001258), East Tisted which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)